- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1 cup cooked cubed ham
White Sauce and Cheese
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter or 11⁄2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese (grated)
- pepper, to taste
- Begin the cooking process of the macaroni- according to package directions; Add cubed ham (to warm) during the final minute or so of cooking the macaroni; Drain and set aside.
- While water is heating and macaroni is cooking, make your White Sauce: Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat; add Flour and Salt, and cook about 1 minute, stirring constantly with a wire whisk until mixture is smooth and bubbly.
- Stir the Milk into the mixture and bring to a boil.
- Stirring constantly, boil mixture for 1 minute.
- Lower heat and cook until thickened, stirring regularly about 4-6 minutes.
- (Don’t forget to add the ham to the macaroni as it is cooking!).
- Remove White Sauce from heat; Add cheese; stir until melted; Pepper to taste.
- Combine cheese sauce with the macaroni and ham in a bowl (or the macaroni pot); stir well.